You haven't truly started training until you lose that first toenail. I cut my first one all the way off earlier this week. And it couldn't have happened any sooner, with my first race of the season coming in less than a week. Ok, I am probably using the word "race" kind of loosely. The annual Saint John's University vs. Collegeville Track Club showdown rarely has thrilling performances (or greater than 100 fans in attendance) so yes, this is pretty much a glorified work-out. Although, if I'm not mistaken the current American record for the 10k was set in a "glorified work-out". So here is what I know. I know I am feeling as thin and fit as I have ever been, and I know I haven't raced in over 4 months. Unfortunately the second part of that last sentence cancels out the first. And my fall season was pretty bad, so I don't know if I really want to count those races or not. If I had to pick between running a PR and being able to sleep more than 1 hour the night before a race...I might actually pick getting a full nights sleep. In case you were not aware, I PRed in 23 out of 24 track races over a 3 year period, so I'm hoping I don't have to pick between those choices.
In other Track and Field news, America's finest (over-rated?) milers were taken to school last night by Winona's finest miler. If the fate of the world came down to a 1 mile race, I would pick Garrett Heath over Alan Webb any day of the week. Sadly, 10 years from now some other asshole behind a keyboard will probably be saying that they would pick a no-namer to beat Lukas Verzbicas any day of the week. Have fun at Nike U, Luke. Can't wait for Alberto to ruin your career too.
Wow. This might be a first. I have something to talk about other than running or television. For the second time, my phone decided that it would "forget" my voicemail password. Ok, I don't know what went wrong, and honestly I don't care what went wrong. All I know is that for some reason my phone decided that the 6 number password that I set was not the right one. Oh, but no worries. Tracfone decided to give me 10 free minutes for my troubles. Its not like I spent 30 minutes on hold (3 SEPARATE TIMES!!!!) to take care of an issue that took 5 minutes to fix....wait, I did? So that would be why I flipped out on the customer service woman who finally had the brilliant idea of reseting my password. I'm a big fan of the prepaid cell phone, but if I ever have a problem like this again Tracfone is going to have one less customer.
Is there a football game on tonight or something? Is that why there is 4 hours of pregame show on TV? Quick question...what is the deal with FOXs "red carpet"? Did they really need to build a set for 20 fans (I'm actually starting to think the people there work for FOX) to watch an endless stream of C-list celebrities show up to the Superbowl? In other news, its good to see that who ever plans the halftime show is finally getting over the infamous "Wardrobe Malfunction" incident. But you really couldn't do any better than the Black Eyed Peas? They're alright, but they are no Prince, no Paul McCartney, and no Tom Petty. Well, Will I Am did appear in that Pepsi commercial with the old Bob Dylan footage (which by the way, I want to throw up every time I see it)....at least the commercials are always good. And does anyone actually care which team John Travolta's new son is going to cheer for? Thats some quality journalism right there from Michael Strahan.
I think I just heard the most ridiculous statement ever uttered on television. Some guy on FOX just said most fans just think the NFL labor negotiations are "just Billionaires vs. Millionaires, but its actually more complicated than that". Umm, what? Sorry sir, but you are absolutely wrong. Billionaires vs. Millionaires is EXACTLY what the issue is here. The players are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game....let me repeat that....to play a game. Hey, I'm pretty good at Cube Crash on Facebook, someone should be paying me a million dollars to do that. The owners are even worse. These guys are making billions of dollars to watch a game. Please, lock the players out. The only people on earth who are more greedy than NFL owners are MLB owners. Please, have a lockout. Sure, all the sports channels will keep covering the NFL even if they don't have a season. However, a lockout might give Brett Favre just enough time to get healthy enough for one more season! Lets hope not. I'm probably cursing the Packers just by wanting them to win. Again, lets hope not. Nothing would make me happier than to see Aaron Rodgers hold up the Lombardi trophy and say "Suck it, Brett!"
No comments:
Post a Comment