Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hello, my name is "Alumni Guy" - Class of 2010

Last Friday I took in the experience of my first Cotter High School homecoming as an alumni.....hmmm, I have a feeling that experience at Saint John's isn't 4 years away (closer to 4 days actually).  Not only that but I am also on the doorstep of experiencing my first SJU vs. UST football game.  Lets hope this homecoming game ends better than Cotter's.  Seriously, another 27-0 loss would be a bigger buzzkill than that time I hang out with Buzz Killington (Family Guy reference FTW).  Apparently UST is good this year, which would explain those rumors of Clemens Stadium attendance records being broken, and it means a Tommie victory may be possible....it also means Saturday's attendance could be equal to the sum of every home track meet since the 1960's.  This leads me to a difficult decision.  Considering that I have lost all faith in the Vikings, Saturdays afternoon tilt in Collegeville may or may not end up being the best football game I attend in person.  Sometime between now and kickoff I am going to have to make up my mind on whether or not I want to...(how should I say this?)...."pay attention to the game".  Either way, another wonderful weekend in the Promised Land awaits....and I might have to surgically attach my running watch to my body so I don't lose another one this time.

On a sad note, the magical 2010 Athletics season did not end with a bang as I had hoped, but it ended 2 weeks early in St. Paul with my slowest 5K of the year (when I say Athletics I mean running...am I turning European?  I certainly have enough body hair).  I've come to 2 major realizations in the last month.  First of all I need a serious break.  Maybe not from running completely, but certainly from racing.  My longest gap between races in 2010 was 4 weeks, which is far from enough recovery.  Physically I felt great everyday.  Mentally I have no idea whats going on.  You know those sleep troubles I mentioned in my last post?  Yeah, it looks like it wasn't the cold medicine.  Turns out I wasn't going to break 16:00 at the Fort Snelling 5 X 5K either...or even break 17:00.  I'm going to go ahead and blame my 4.5 hours of sleep the night before on that one (because lets face it, that's easier than admitting I suck!)  On a positive note I can admit that I haven't been the same since the MIAC 10K.  Revelation number 2: I am not even close to being a good enough runner to justify how much time I put into my training.  Now that I ran three crappy races in place of three good ones, I feel like an idiot for quitting a job so I could run 100 miles a week when I was already fitting in 90 a week and the result could have been the same.  Jesus H. Christ...I deserve to be poor for making that mistake.

Other random thoughts (aka things I don't want to write a whole paragraph about AND/OR things you don't want to read a whole paragraph about):
-I'm thinking of growing my beard back again
-I'm starting to want to cut my hair really short again (somebody please talk me out of it!)
-Is it just me or has Katy Perry really stepped it up in the trashiness department?  She is about to pull even with Ke$ha
-Still don't have a job, but I did go to church today so maybe something good will come from that.  I think having a dream (nightmare?) that I work on the TV show "TMZ" is a clear sign that I need to get a life
-After spending a great deal of the summer/fall mowing my Grandpa's lawn, I now understand why Brett Favre enjoys riding a tractor and doing nothing during his "retirements"

No comments:

Post a Comment