Monday, September 13, 2010

I Actually Have Readers?

So I've been told that people are actually reading this stuff.  That's actually a bit of a surprise to me.  Ok not really, but seriously....on to more important matters.

I don't want to say anything about this because I know from years of experience how professional sports in Minnesota work.  Everybody talks up the Vikings all summer long, and then they are surprised when they suck it up in December and January.  Everybody talks about how much the Twins are going to suck all winter, and then they all jump back on the bandwagon one-by-one when they start to look good in July and August.  And of course we all know the Timberwolves probably couldn't even win the Big Ten.  The one common theme is that as soon as people start talking about how good any of our professional sports teams are, the teams entire roster forgets how to play whatever sport they play.  So to piece this puzzle together, me saying this combined with the fact that I now know people will read it means that I will officially be the reason why this particular team goes into the toilet over the next month.  Go ahead and blame me when the season is over the second week of October because I am going to say this anyways only because it sends chills down my spine and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside: Right now there are only 3 teams in Major League Baseball who look like they can win the World Series, and the Twins are one of them.

Again since I know that people will be reading this, it was very nice to see all of you in Collegeville last weekend.  I've been back to SJU twice now since I moved out for the last time.  Both times when I arrive on campus it felt like I never left, and when I leave it felt like I was never there.  I will say the trip this time could have been a little better for two reasons.  First, my ipod stopped working for no particular reason at all.  I really shouldn't be surprised though, because not only is it nearly 4 years old but if I had a dollar for every time I dropped that piece of garbage on the floor and every time I soaked it with sweat for an hour when I took it out running I wouldn't be frantically looking for some form of employment.  In case you are wondering, it started to work again this morning (so you're telling me I didn't have to use a Diskman for the past three days?)  Secondly, I had 6 hours of sleep on Thursday and Friday night combined.  Yes you read that right, combined.  The first thing that would probably come to mind is "oh he must have been really nervous for that race on Saturday".  I don't think so.  I slept like a baby the night before our outdoor conference track meet back in May, and if I can get 8 hours of sleep the night before a race that I had been building up in my head for a full year there is no way I should get less than that for two nights combined.  And just like my luck with the ipod fiasco, I got 9 hours of sleep last night.  So what I learned here is that if I want to sleep well before a big race what I should do is stay up late the whole week leading up to it and then I will finally crash and sleep normally the night before.  I can't see how there would be any problems with that system.  Either that or I could try not mixing 12-hour Sudafed with Ambien.

Oh yeah, I'm also starting 2 new traditions.  First off I am now 2 for 2 with losing my running watch on my return trips to SJU as an alumni.  And secondly I have been sick twice in the past year, and both times have been on the weekend of the SJU Invite.....I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

No comments:

Post a Comment