The worst choice I have made in my life up to this point was deciding to be a music major. To make a long story short, I can't find a job. Actually, I should clarify my situation. I have found plenty of jobs, the problem is I am not qualified to apply for any of them.
What can you do with a degree in Music? Off the top of my head I can come up with teaching, performing, or working in a church. I've known for the longest time that I have no interest in being a teacher. Work my ass off to be under-paid and under-appreciated? Yeah right, that sounds like a ton of fun. I respect people who have what it takes to be a teacher, but its just not for me. I've also known for quite some time that no matter how hard I work at it I will never be talented enough to make a living off performance. And there is just something about working in a church that I don't like. I don't know quite what it is, but I know I don't like it.
But I do have good news to share today. I honestly feel now like I have learned more in the past three months than I did during the entire last year. I've learned that of my two "hobbies" (running, and music), running is the one I can't live with out. I've played the piano twice in the last month, I picked up my guitar and moved it to make more room in our basement, and I honestly can't remember the last time I even touched my trumpet (but I can guarantee I have played it less than five times since my final wind ensemble concert). The best part about it is that I don't give a damn. I know from experience that if I go three months without running my life sucks. Think Joe Kilkus year 2010 compared to Joe Kilkus 2006 (if you don't already know in 2006 I did go three months without running, and the result was I became overweight and unhappy).
So to put this simply, if running and music were drowning in a pool and I could only save one I would pick running with out even thinking. I was able to train for the 2010 track season way better than any other year because I had an easy class schedule. Take away all the lessons, afternoon rehearsals, and studio classes and I guarantee I would be a much better runner than I am now. It wouldn't have taken me four years to qualify for a conference track meet, and if my degree was in a different field my odds of being employed right now would be much higher. Up until graduation I could say that I wouldn't change a single decision or event that had impacted my life, but now I know that I am lying to myself. So now its time for the truth to come out...maybe there is something I don't know about yet, and maybe that decision will lead me somewhere special, but as of right now...becoming a music major was the biggest mistake of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment